At 5 years and 11 mos it happened. My sweet almost six year old told me he was running away.
The conversation was hilarious, and I'd given anything to be able to record it, but the thought of him leaving me for a life outside of our home did break my heart!
Nathan has spent the better part of the month in trouble. For one thing or another, he has managed to get busted for any and every delinqunecy imagineable. Of course, two trips to Ohio in the past two months have added to the chaos, lack of sleep, and overall poor choices - but his behavior cannot be exused!
Today was no exception, and he was in BIG TIME trouble! He got a blue card at school. When I texted that to Dan, Dan asked where blue fell.....Nate had never gotten one of those before. WE've had plenty of yellow a few red, but never a BLUE! Needless to say we were headed straight home for some disciplining.
As a means to escape his punishment, Nathan told me he was going to run away. This was before we were even out of the parking lot from school.
He ran his mouth the entire way home with this elaborate plan for running away. [Son, please take note, you're not supposed to share your escape plan with your mother, although I am pleased you did so I could delight in sharing it with you for years to come.]
His plan started out with first he'd get home and pack his bags. A good start so I thought. I informed him I would help him pack, like any good parent has advised over the course of history. He didn't seem too suprised by this. He listed everything he'd need to take with him: clothes, blank blank, Cocoa, and bottled water. He said he'd knew it would be a long walk.
When I inquired as to where he'd go, he realized he hadn't thought that thru. By this point, Drew was coming with him since they were brothers. And, like a good tag along, Drew was willing to jump ship with him. By tthis point they had decided they'd head to Grammy and Pop pop's. Not too bad of an idea I shared, but it was a really long walk, and Grammy and Pop pop believe the same that Mommy and Daddy do about discipline. If Nathan was in trouble at home, he'd be in trouble with them as well.
This lead to the interesting part of the conversation where Nathan was reminded that we all serve the same God. God has commanded and entrusted both mommy and daddy to raise him and his brother, and Grammy, Pop pop, Grandma and Grandpa, his teachers and his church are all on the same team. So if he chose a road away from mommy and daddy, then all of those people would be disapointed and sad too. It was an interesting thought for him, and he manage to skip right over it, as he was assured Grammy and Pop pop wouldn't discipline him.
By this point we were 5 min. from home, and he realized it would be a very long walk to Grammy and Pop pop's house. He asked that I drive both of them there, instead of having to walk. He assumed I said yes, and carried on with his plot.
He and Drew would then live with Grammy and Pop pop, and Daddy and I could come visit. In fact, we'd need to come visit a lot Nathan said, as he and Drew would miss us. Within minutes he realized how much he'd miss us, and so he'd better just not run away in the first place!
I am so thankful for a 20 min. ride home. A shorter one may have not allowed him enough time to talk himself out of running away!
No comments:
Post a Comment