School pickup is both a blessed and cursed event. On one hand I am so eager to see son number one who has been gone from me all day, and on the other hand it falls right smack dab in the middle of nap time for son number 2. Most days number 2 just falls asleep on our way, and I end up having to carry him halfway down the hill and then up a flight of stairs.
Today I was tired. So. tired. It was Dan's first business trip since losing Caleb, and taking care of the boys even for 72 hours has been exhausting.
Drew managed to wake just as I was picking him up, and I opted for a piggy back ride down the hill today as opposed to a full frontal snuggle. My arms just didn't have it in me, and well, sometimes it's just fun to give a piggy back ride.
Drew, too, thought it was fun and giggled most of the way down the hill. A glimmer of joy. Oh thank you sweet Jesus!
As we reached the bottom Drew commented on how Daddy doesn't give piggy back rides. Daddy lets him ride on his shoulders. He wasn't saying it in dissatisfaction of his piggy back ride, but just as a fact. Mommy does piggy back rides, and Daddy does on the shoulder rides.
What a beautiful picture flashed before my eyes; a child on the shoulders of a Father. A child too weak and tired to walk, getting a ride. And not any ride, the best ride with a view!
So thankful for the big shoulders of my Father who carries me when I am tired. And especially on days when grief strikes and taking care of my family becomes a monumental task.
No comments:
Post a Comment