Upon our return from Colorado, Drew's baby days were over. He would start potty training, give up his pacifier, and move into a big boy bed. Tough days were ahead, and mommy was scared!
Step One: Remove the pacifier from the cubbards, purse, crib and car! AH!
Drew has more recently been named our 'passionate' child, and one thing he has always been passionate about is his paci. Years ago I would have died to think about my child using a pacifier until he was two, but things change. Ialso think it's God's sense of humor telling me that I'm not in charge and my preconceived notions are bound to come back and haunt me!
On Monday, our first full day back, Dan and I had Bible study and Uncle Greg came to watch the boys. We didn't think letting him cry it out with the sitter would be kind....so we let him keep his paci.
On Tuesday, I had a headache - enough said.
On Wednesday, Drew bit off his pacifier during naptime, and the paci was no more!
It was quite funny how it all transpired. Our 'passionate' child, was so mad that he woke up from his nap early, that he bit his pacifier and threw it on the floor. When I walked in to see what was the matter, I couldn't help but laugh at the half chewed on paci. I handed it back to him and he said it was broken. I gave it back to him, and once he put it in his mouth he spit it out and said, "Yucky" and I said YAH! While that afternoon was a looong afternoon with a fussy kid, he proved to go to bed rather easily. Of course, I can say that because I was out to dinner with friends. I left the hard work for Dan! When I got home later than evening I was shocked to hear that he didn't cry out once for it.
Over the next several days he has asked for his paci, but one look at the bit off one, and he is digusted with it! We have had no nights of screaming fits, or anything like I had invisioned. We were pleasantly surpised us with this transition! Praise the Lord!
Followup note: Almost a week later Drew noticed there was a paci down behind his crib. I quickly sqatted down to grab it, and in hopes of fooling him tried to bite the tip off. No such luck. I am not sure what those things are made of, but with all of my might I couldn't bite the tip off. I quickly ran to the kitchen to grab the broken one, and swap out the fully functioning paci that I didn't want him to see. Thankfully my swap worked and he still believes his paci is broken!
No comments:
Post a Comment