Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brotherly love.....

One of the principles that Dan and I have taken to heart most from our beloved Paster Joel Hunter, came from his childrearing days. He raised three boys, and does a wonderful job telling stories of how he built up the 'Hunter brothers' to love and protect one another. Dan and I have taken that rough and tuff "Hunter brothers" and turned it into the "Hacker brothers." We try to help them not compete with each other, but encourage one another. We strive to help them see when one another is in need or hurting. On any given day there are plent of opportunities to help encourage the "Hacker brothers" mentality.

Evidently, this family goal has been successful. The other night we were at Chick Fila, and Nathan slapped a girl. I was shocked as Nathan is typically not the agressor - that typically fits the personality of Drew. As I disciplined him for hitting, it came out that this little girl said she was going to take Drew home with her. Nathan stood up to defend his brother with a right hook! I smiled at the thought of him defending his brother, and at the glimmer of hope I had for him internalizing something so important as loving his brother and calling him his own. I had a difficulty discipling him too harshly for this action, and told him next time not to use his hands first to defend his brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment