The boys had finally taken great naps for me that afternoon, and I knew I was in for a late night with them sleeping so late. Quickly racking my brain for a fun nighttime activity, I remembered the outdoor movie at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Lodge. It had been a long time desire of mine to take them to this neat event, but the lateness of the movie always prohibited us from taking advantage of this fun, free event.As the end of the boys' naps drew near, I quickly packed up the car. As soon as they woke up, I asked them if they'd like to take mommy on a date. Nathan's response, "Mommy, I'd really like to, but I can't drive, I'm sorry." I couldn't help but laugh, and shed a tear. It was so sweet. I could see the honesty on his face, and his desire to please me. He knew this was a special treat, and he knew he couldn't properly fill his daddy's shoes by driving me on our date.
I have to say, that Dan has done a wonderful job showing our boys how to treat a lady. He has set quite the example for them to follow someday. He has also shown them that mommy is a priority by explaining our date nights to them. It's so sweet to see their level of comprehension on this matter. They are quite well aware that mommy and daddy have their date nights.
So, on this very first mommy-son date night, Nathan was aware of his responsibility 'drive mommy on a date.' I could just see the wheels turning in his head, "How can I drive mommy, and where are we going to go, and how am I going to pay" - all questions he kept asking throughout the evening. Poor kid, I didn't mean to stress him out.
I assured him as we got in the car, that mommy would drive, and mommy would give him money to pay, and mommy would let him hold the map to the place where our special evening would take place.As we began our drive, Nathan pulled out his imaginary steering wheel to assist me (he had never done this before). He was thrilled to help me steer, and even more so to feel as though he was driving mommy on their date!We arrived at the the campground parking area, and was told by the gate-keeper that the movie wouldn't start for another 2 hrs. I asked for a good place for dinner, and he mentioned the lodge. Just a few minutes down the road, we found the magnificent lodge. The boys were in awe. It was a lodge straight out of Swiss Family Robinson complete with log walls, a babbling brook, and waterfall. We walked around for several minutes soaking up all the beauty of the lodge. As we proceeded to the restaurant the boys found the linking logs activity table in the waiting area. As a single mom on a date with two active boys, I was quite thrilled at the thoughtfulness of the hotel for this ingenious idea. Thankfully our time playing was cut short as they were able to seat us immediately.
All around us sat large families at wooden tables eating family-style. Everyone was happy and jovial, and I was so proud of myself for our impromptu date night - the evening was off to a great start! We were greeted by a waiter shortly after our seating who catered to our every need, and interacted with the boys immediately. Nathan immediately was drawn to him and his personality, while Drew shuddered in my lap. Poor kid was frightened by this loud, boisterous man.
Midway thru dinner they even had a horse race around the restaurant! Nathan loved it! Their meals were brought out on a Mickey Mouse plate - with cookies and a vegie for the meals. What would a meal be at Disney without a Mickey Mouse plate?! The boys ate a great dinner, and were surprisingly willing to let me save their cookies for our movie.
We finally did make it to the movie, "The Princess and the Frog," after a bus ride. The kids were so excited to ride on the bus, I was afraid the movie wouldn't compare. We found a great spot to sit, and enjoyed a sing along and a visit from Chip and Dale before the movie started. The boys were so cute, and so well behaved for the hour before the movie began. I was so shocked!
We only last about half of the movie until Drew started to melt down - which was late enough for us all. It also allowed us to get on the bus and to our car before the rush!
No comments:
Post a Comment