Saturday, August 7, 2010

Batter Up!




Tonight was my parents 39th Wedding Anniversary. We tried to drum up something special to celebrate, and ended up with dinner and a baseball game with the boys. This was their first real baseball game so I guess we did do something special!

I tried out my new manicotti recipe for dad, as it's one of his favorite Italian dishes. I made it several weeks ago with my SIL, and managed to make my own crespelles. I was quite proud of myself, yet in further research discovered that they weren't that much better for you - so I opted for the whole grain ones you can buy in the store. I also added some pork sausage to the filling, to give it more substance and protein. The sausage definitely added to it, and proved to be a good improvement to the recipe.

After dinner the boys got a quick ride on the horsies (Grammy and Pop pop), and then we headed off to the baseball game. The Sky Sox Stadium is a short 2 mile jog from the house, so we are fortunate to see the Friday night fireworks every Friday night that the Sky Sox Play.

As in most crowds, the boys were awestruck. They spent the first 30 min and 2 innings just taking it all in. Drew literally did not move. Nathan was intrigued by all that was going on and kept asking questions about the sequence of events. The first four innings were pretty uneventful baseball-wise. The music in-between innings, games and freebies were the most exciting aspect - with a few pop flies tossed in there (no pun intended). About the fourth inning as the boys were getting wrestless Dad and I headed out for the bounce house and kids section. We were frustrated to find though that the boys were too little for them. We settled for ice cream instead. As we're learning, most fun events with Grammy and Pop pop include ice cream. Oh, the fun of grandparents!


The mascot for the Sky Sox, is the Sky Sox Fox. From the moment Drew saw him he was in love! He watched that fox then entire game, and was obsessively asking where the fox went. When the fox made his way to our side of the stadium Pop pop jumped up and took him over to meet him instantly. He had to wait quite a while, and Pop pop even cornered the Fox just so Drew could give him a High Five. Nathan was just excited because he got to pull his tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment