Day One into our stay at the Sundermeyer house, and Nathan was already asking me if he could marry Emma. We had literally been 'together' all of three hours this morning and he's was already wanting to marry the girl.
They were so cute sitting in the backseat of the car on the way to the splash pad this morning. I felt as though I was driving him on his first date - and I had a quick flash forward moment that scared me to pieces!
Within ten minutes into our car ride he asked me if he could marry her. I giggled at the thought, and then took advantage of the teachable moment here.
My response to him went something like this, "Well Nathan, if you want to marry Emma, you have to ask her daddy. She is daddy's girl for now, until he is willing to give her away." They both giggled at my response, and then Nathan responded, "Well, I don't think Mr. Chad will give her to me yet. I need a job." Well, he was right on the money, and he'll need quite a bit of that to afford to take care of a wife.
Their talk in the backseat continued of their future, and included going to school and getting straight A's. It was quite comical, but I couldn't help but let my mind wander to the day that he did find a girl he wanted to marry. (We'd be quite pleased with the Sundermeyer choice for future reference).
I love these little reminders from God about the man I am raising. The future husband and father he will be. I love being able to plant these seeds in his heart and mind at such an early age about the type of woman he should seek after, and how to treat and respect her.
As we arrived at the splash pad, Nathan opened the door for Emma, and they ran off into the park and had a blast playing in the water and squirting each other with the squirt guns! (Flirting is the best part of catching a girl, right?)
Just as we were about to leave though, Emma fell and scraped her knee pretty badly. After some TLC from mom, and a bandaid, we headed back to the house. As Emma limped to the car, Nathan came up alongside her and helped her walk to the car. It was completed unscripted, but very picturesque!
As the week continued the marriage talk didn't end. In fact, the following day as we talked with Daddy on the phone, Dan informed Nathan he needed to ask Mr. Chad if he could marry Emma. Nathan's response was priceless. He said he was too nervous.
The following night, however, he pulled it together and asked Mr. Chad if he could. Emma giggled, and Sara and I laughed as well. Chad, then asked Nathan what it meant to be married. He told him it meant that he would have Emma as his, and it would be his job to take care of her. Not too bad for five years old. Nathan then proceeded to answer the question further by saying he needed to get older, go to school, and get a good job. Chad agreed to that; the getting older and school part, not the marriage part.
Yes, my little boy is growing up, and is interested in girls besides his mommy. I'm not sure that I like that too much. For the remainder of our time at the Sundermeyer house, Emma definitely took the number one spot in my little boys eye. He constantly showed off for her, and did everything he could to make her laugh. It was sweet to watch, but also a reality check in how quickly he is growing up.
Right now, I am quite content being the number one girl, and I pray even more earnestly for the day that female influence really starts to influence him and his decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment