Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This little light of mine.....

After months of singing, Jesus Loves the Little Children, we have moved on to a new song. I am so thankful!

This Little Light of Mine can be heard coming from my boys' rooms each night, and I am LOVING it! I'm sure that all too quickly I will be ready for a new one, but for right now I'm going to treasure my time singing "don't let Satan blow it out" and "hide it under a bushel, NO."

Drew's little three-year-old voice just melts my heart each and every evening, and no matter how rotten he's been during the day the whole world just seems to stand in perfect peace when we sing together each night. I pray that they, too, will remember our special songs together each night as they grow, and in return sing them with their children. 

One of the mentors at a MOMS meeting a few years ago once shared that her biggest regret in raising her children, was rushing bedtime. She urged young mothers to try and cherish that time with their little ones, no matter how long the day had been, or how tired and exhausted they were. From the moment she shared that, I have purposely tried to cherish our bedtime routines. And, for the most part, have been successful at doing.

Just about a week ago while singing with Drew, he took his one little light and put it up towards mine. We were fingertip to fingertip, and our lights were one. We sang the rest of the song as one little light, and have continued to do so each evening. It is a constant reminder that my light is what he sees each and every day. It is my light that he is imitating and mirroring, and whew, what a sense of responsibility for me to show Him God's light each and every day. 


Then, one evening, last week, Nathan informed me that there were more verses to This Little Light of Mine. I knew he was correct and began a search on Youtube for the rest of the song. Instead, I managed to run across this version by Addison Road, and fell in love with it! So thankful for the adult version of my childhood favorite!


2 comments:

  1. I love this song, too! Bedtime is when the talking gets good! Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! nothing more beautiful than children singing to the Lord, especially Nate and Drew, you're going to have to video them singing their songs. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete