Sunday, November 1, 2009

Casualties of Parenting

Over the last several months, Dan and I have started to notice that parenting is a hazardous job. We have both physically sustained serious injuries due to the kids - whether its a stubbed toe on a toy, a busted lip from a bonk of the head, or a kick to the stomach - parenting is dangerous!

I am not exactly sure why, but there is nothing that makes me so mad as when the kids physically hurt me. Dan and I have discussed this at length, and I have even had the conversation with many friends as to why this is so incredibly irritating. Is it the fact that their behavior has caused us immediate short-lived pain?

As I have pondered that thought, after each painstaking accident, a more disturbing thought has emerged. What about the behaviors that may not be causing physical pain to me as the parent - but could become emotional, agonizing long-term pain? If I can become so upset about something that causes my physical pain - what then should my response be to behaviors that will have lasting consequences?

After reading Tedd Tripp's book on Shepherding Your Child's Heart, I can refer to these as heart issues, not behavioral ones. I have to constantly be in check of myself - am I dealing with the behavior issue, or the heart issue? "Above all else, guard your heart, for out of it is the wellspring of life" Proverbs 4:23. It is so easy for me to look at the behavior and want the behavior fixed immediately so I will not be embarrassed or frustrated, but, when I think about the root of the issue - selfishness or disobedience, I have to take a deep breath and discipline the heart, not just put a bandaid on the behavior. Because that heart, if not disciplined will bring me more pain in the future than one head bonk! So for now, I'll take my head bonks, busted lips and stubbed toes, and continually be in prayer that the heart of my two boys is being trained in the way they should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment