Thursday, December 17, 2009

Nathan's first Christmas Program

On Thursday Nathan performed in his first Christmas musical at school. He had been practicing at home for weeks, and I was so excited to see what he’d do on stage with all the other boys and girls.

I was fortunate enough to also be the ‘helper parent’ in his class that day and help with all the festivities. Much like at Thanksgiving, I was able to see them practice their songs several times, and partake in fun games, crafts and stories all associated with Christmas. One of the most precious items of the day, was being able to listen to his teacher read a story about the first Christmas to the class. As she read, she asked several questions – which to my great surprise the students answered correctly. I was shocked to hear Nathan respond to, “Where was Jesus born?” and “What does a shepherd carry to guide the sheep?” It was so neat to hear my son respond correctly to these questions that I had not taught him. To know and hear what he is learning from church and school and places that we have chosen to educate him . It was even more special to hear his teacher take the lesson one step further. After discussing a shepherd, and all of the ramifications of their job, she inquired about 'our' shepherd, and who guides us. The kids had clearly been taught that Jesus is our Shepherd, and responded accordingly. It was so sweet to hear them acknowledge that attribute of God – all because of the teacher’s prompting. It was a great moment that confirmed Christian education for my children.

Thankfully, I didn't base this decision on Nathan's performance skills. As you can see from the pictures below he spent most of the time turned around watching all of the kids behind him. I don't think he did one single hand motion in the performance. He has made up for that since - we hear these songs constantly now, and they are a sweet reminder of the great education he is receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment