Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Last night Nathan, Drew and I were swinging on the hammock in the backyard. It was a beautiful evening, and I was trying to relax and forget the chaos going on around us and the stress of being a single parent for the time-being. Nathan was using a string to help rock us, and loved to make it go faster and then slower, and then fast again. It made me think of Row, Row, Row your boat - so I started singing it. Nathan would speed up if I sang fast, and go slow if I would sing slower. We were having a blast, and I had to take a mental snapshot of this moment....to help me thru the moments when the storms are rough!

After lots of giggling and playing around he put his head down and pretended he was sleeping. I asked him what he was doing, and if he was tired. He replied that he was Jesus sleeping on the boat. I laughed, and asked him to wake up because there was a bad storm and I needed help. He sat up, put his hand up and said, "STOP, Be still." It was so sweet! To think of how long it's been since that lesson, and how he remembered it. WOW!

That evening proved to be a rough storm and I was very thankful for the precious 'good times' we had just had. It seemed as though the hours dragged on till bedtime and no matter what kind of 'fun' we tried to have - nothing could over ride our negative bad moods. From a spill in the kitchen, or maybe two - I've tried to forget the rest of that evening, to a conk on the head from falling off of a chair - to a sprinkling of fairy dust at 9:45pm the evening was a bust!
Here is the first bit of 'dust' (baby powder) that I found that evening. I was so mad the evening and was proud I pulled enough courage together to take at least one picture of it. The following morning I found double that. It was all over the window and closet. I did feel slightly sorry for him as he coughed the rest of the night due to the amount of powder in the air. Thankfully we were able to air out his room the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment