Sunday, December 5, 2010

Drew's Birth Story




After a fun filled day of birthday-ing, and a party with Grammy and Pop pop the boys were exhausted but still wound up - so a story was due to help settle them down. Being 3 years old within a couple of hours, and having spent the day reliving the day of Drew's birth in my mind, I thought it would be only fitting to tell Drew his birth story. The 3 year old version. Then, it hit me, that I was not blogging at the time, and this might be a good time to put it into blog form....

On Saturday morning, Dec 1st, I got a call from a friend, saying my childhood best friend, Kristen had gone into labor. Her due date was weeks after mine - and being 38 weeks pregnant, I was not happy to hear that. Thankfully, the following morning labor started!

It was Sunday. Dan and I were sitting in church, and the contractions started. As worship began, I grabbed Dan's wrist to start looking at his watch. He asked me what for, and I told him the contractions were about 15 min. apart. No. big. deal. He kinda looked panicked, but it was honestly nothing.

We proceeded home to eat lunch and put Nathan down for a nap. While he slept, we walked. I think we lapped the neighborhood twice before I told Dan enough was enough. We proceeded to call Jenny, our babysitter, and told her the time had come and we would need her to come over that evening to watch Nathan. She arrived just after 6pm, which was perfect. I really wanted to put Nathan to bed, just the three of us, one last time.

As his bedtime approached the contractions were really starting to heat up. They were roughly 5 min. apart and starting to take my breath away. We tucked Nathan into bed promptly at 7pm, and sang one last "Jesus Loves Me," with just the three of us.

By the time we arrived at the hospital the contractions were roughly 3 min. apart and really starting to feel painful. Thankfully the waiting room was full....not! After waiting for what seemed like an eternity they took me back to see if I was in 'real' labor. Yes, most definitely with contractions now one min. apart and 7 cent. dilated.

I was taken directly upstairs and checked into a room - now 9cm. After asking for my epidural, and receiving it, I got a short 10 min. break before little boy Hacker decided to arrive. The anesthesiologist warned me against it saying I didn't have time, but after pushing for more than two hours for Nathan - I had no idea what I could be in for. She was right.

She had no more left the room, than Dan was running out the door yelling for a nurse or doctor. They arrived just in time to catch him - literally. No pushing needed. And, he proceeded to let the rest of the floor know of his arrival at 11:37pm. From the second he was born, he was screaming. It's a good thing then I didn't know what I know now - he'd spend most of that first year letting the world know of his arrival that exact same way!



We spent our standard two days in the hospital - but due to Drew's quick arrival, he did not receive the antibiotics thru my IV in time. We had to wait a full 48 hrs before they would dismiss us. So on Tuesday evening - at 10:45 at night, they discharged us.

Dan's parents had flown in that same evening, so Daddy, Nathan, Grandpa and Grandma all came to get us. We waited around for tests results for almost two hours before they finally let us go home. We had a great time occupying Nathan in the small hospital room that late at night. We were very thankful it was Christmas time and there were lots of lights and trees for him to go look at with Grandma and Grandpa.





With Drew's due date so close to Christmas, we had decorated just after Thanksgiving. I LOVE Christmas lights, and knew that bringing home my baby with the glow of the lights in the house would be spectacular - and boy was I right! I wasn't thrilled to be arriving home at close to midnight with a 20 month old and a newborn, but the lights in the house that night had never been more spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment