Today is the first day that I attempted to cook with Drew. Typically Nathan is the one to help me out, and Drew is observing, or just plain getting into trouble and pushing me to the edge of my sanity.
With Nathan being in VBS this week, I have truely enjoyed my mornings with Drew, and have found a new appreciation for him. His little personality is starting to emerge, the good and the bad, and I have found a new love for him in the last 4 days. It's unbelievable how the one on one time has affected our relationship so much.
In light of our new discovery this week, I thought it would be a great time to try and bake with him. Nathan was still napping after being worn out from VBS, so this afternoon the opportunity presented itself and I ran with it!
Drew is definitely in the phase of dumping and pouring. I remember this phase with Nathan, and acted on it all the time. Nathan was constantly in the kitchen with me at that age, and received lots of cooking instruction from a very early age. I pray that those same moments I will take advantage of with Andrew as well.
Drew did quite well helping out this afternoon. If I can manage to keep him on the chair, as opposed to the counter top we'd be great! He is definitely a climber, moreso than his older brother, and we are having quite the time breaking him of climbing on the counters and tables.
We made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies today, for Grammy and Pop pop's arrival tomorrow. Pop pop Keenan has to have cookies in the house - and we were all out! Drew absolutely loved dumping in the flour, sugar and oatmeal. He used the big measuring cups for the first two items and actually made it in the bowl on the first try. He used the measuring spoons for the oatmeal, and with three cups to dump in, it proved to be a timely task (which was a blessing). The final ingredient, chocolate chips, was of course his favorite. In fact, he was quite frustrated that they had to go in the bowl, and not his mouth. From an early age this boy has a love for chocloate and sweet things. I am not sure if it's the fact that he has had more than his brother ever had at 20mos, or if it's just a sweet tooth gene he inherited from his grandma's.
Both of my boys love my Kitchenaid mixer. I am not sure if it's the twisting, the turning, the noise, being able to lick the beaters or the end product that attract them the most - but they both get so excited when it's pulled out onto the counter. I am usually very cautious to not plug it in until I am ready to mix notice I typed the word - USUALLY. Well today I was not so cautious and plugged it in about a minute too soon. As I was reaching for one more ingredient Drew hit the mix button and off it went full speed ahead (with only dry ingredients in). Yes, mommy was covered in flour, while wearing a black shirt. It was a scene straight from movies. As I reached to turn off the mixer, and wipe the flour from my eyes Drew flung the metal measuring cup back in protest and nailed me right in between the eyes. Like I said, it was a scene straight from a comedy show. No, I didn't laugh immediately - but soon thereafter! Especially now as I look at the bruise, I laugh. Laugh at myself, and at the fast little hands that helped me bake cookies today!
No comments:
Post a Comment