Since we have moved to Colorado and introduced the bunk beds, bedtimes have been a battle. Depending on how tired the boys are, as well as how tired mommy and daddy are, getting the kids to fall asleep has taken anywhere from ten minutes to two hours.
We started out trying several calm, passive approaches to bedtime (ie Supernanny), and ultimately resorting to spankings for when they got out of bed. We understood that some level of talking/play would take place with them being in the same room, and there has been a fine line to that and "Get your butts in bed and go to sleep."
In the end, it all came down to a matter of obedience. They were making a choice to disobey - and get out of their beds to play. As with most of their discipline, disobedience results in a spanking. This hasn't always sat well with me. As the nurturer of the family, I would much rather lay in there all night and help my boys go to bed peacefully. That's a laugh! It only happens that way in the movies, or in other people's homes. Not ours.
I can happily say though that after 7 months of bedtime in bunk beds - we have all finally gotten the hang of bedtime. Maybe I should state, we are in a good place with our bedtime routine at the moment. There are definitely cycles, and we are in a really good one right now.
I was seeking a way to spend more one on one time with the boys. It's been easier for Nathan and I, as he doesn't always nap and we have a couple of hours almost every day that we can read books, snuggle and play together. Drew, on the other hand gets Wednesday nights to himself as Nathan is in Awana. It just didn't seem like enough quality time with them though, and they are growing up so fast. With Drew turning three, and Nathan turning five this last week, I am starting to realize that my time to snuggle with them is all too quickly fleeting.
So, just over two weeks ago I started taking turns giving the boys nighttime rubs. When I tried this several months ago I was a mere distraction and someone to talk to as opposed to settling down and going to sleep. I am not sure what has changed but this method is working for us now, and it wonderful. I look forward each night to spending time with them, loving on them, and praying over them. (Head to Toe prayers) It's so much more peaceful each night putting them to bed in this manner, and I am loving it!
As I reflect back on the last seven months, I can't help but question why this didn't work seven months ago. Or is it that we laid the foundation for bedtime, disciplined when necessary, and now are able to have a much more calm bedtimes because of all the hard work we've put into establishing a strict bedtime routine? Who knows?! I am not sure, but I am thoroughly enjoying the snuggles, laughter, and intimate time with my boys each night!
No comments:
Post a Comment