Friday, February 18, 2011

Kindergarten Experience

Over the last few weeks I have been in such shock over sending Nathan to Kindergarten. We (I) have been intent on holding him back a year for all of the emotional, academic benefits of it for boys. Then, in the last few weeks, he's started sounding out words and reading sentences. Totally shocked, I realized that if I didn't put him in Kindergarten this year, I would be academically holding him back. So, off to check out Kindergartens we go!

We signed up for a Kindergarten Experience at CSCS, where I graduated from, and I had just two short weeks to prepare myself for it. Along with him turning five this week, it's been a rough week of realizing my baby is a big boy.

Nathan did great in class. We walked in during music class, and he joined them in their activity. There were about ten other children checking out the Kindergarten as well, so it made for a full class of children and parents. He did well, and appeared to like everything. The parents were given a tour of the school, and were able to talk with the teachers while the kids were at recess. I have known Mrs. Carew for over ten years. Her children were at CSCS the same time as I was, and my parents have been good friends of theirs since we moved here almost fifteen years ago. We were able to check over the curriculum and report cards, ask any questions we had and look around the classroom.

We were very impressed and excited to think that this could be Nathan's class/teacher next year. Nathan was most excited about recess, of course, and that he gets his very own locker!

No comments:

Post a Comment