Tonight as I was putting Drew to bed he kept asking me if I'd 'tect' him. I wasn't sure what he was saying, but kept saying yes anyway. He's quite perceptive and knew I really didn't know what I was agreeing to - and kept urging me to 'tect' him.
At first I thought he was asking me to tuck him in, which I had already done. Then I thought he was asking for more tickles. Clearly I wasn't getting it. He then told me he was afraid of the shadows, and needed me to 'tect' him. That's when it clicked, he was asking me to PROtect him.
My heart completely melted in that moment. I sat down on his bed, held him tightly and assured him that I would always protect him - that's my job as mommy. He seemed content in that answer and fell asleep shortly thereafter.
I couldn't help but dwell on his request. Why was he feeling like he needed protected? Dan has been gone for 3 sleeps, and maybe he views Dan as the protector of the family? He is afraid of the dark, and all things scary - so maybe he needed that last reassurance that I would protect him? Not sure, but it was a sweet request.
If he only knew that for years to come I will protect him - much of which he may not view as a positive thing. My prayer for he and Nathan both is that their daddy and I will always protect them, physically and spiritually. For right now we protect against the boogie man, but all too soon it will be from bad decisions, unwise friends, unsafe situations, and girlfriends who aren't the best influence. That's our job....for the rest of our lives! What an honor and a privilege the Lord has bestowed on us!
No comments:
Post a Comment