Sunday, April 8, 2012

Festival = Fish. What no one warned me about.

Today was the CSCS festival. Nathan has talked about it all week, and even had Drew pumped up about the festivities after school. So Thursday afternoon we grabbed Nate from his class and headed down to the gym for the fun.

The entire gym was filled with all kinds of games for the kids to play. They were both in heaven! They both started with the rock wall, and then proceeded to face painting, balloon animals, throw a pie in a high schooler's face, and then to the fishing game.

I could have avoided the fish game. I could have and should have. I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking, but after an hour on my feet chasing two boys around the festival I must have been delirious. Within a millisecond of handing the boys their tickets I realized, "These fish are going to die. Soon." It was a wretched thought, and one that almost brought me to me knees. ANOTHER conversation about death. ANOTHER explanation about heaven. Another, another, another....

So the boys each got a fish. We now have fish. I swore we'd never have fish. I also swore my kids would never use a pacifier or have snotty noses. Guess I can add this one to the books.

In attempts to keep the boys first pets alive as long as possible we ran to the pet store and bought a fish tank. We now have fish. We have not only one fish, but two fish. Yes, I'm still in shock.

1 comment:

  1. Little Fish Secret. when R had fish that died and did not notice they were floating, not swimming I replaced them before he realized it! I did it in order to avoid tears and sadness worked a few times too :-) and he is my observant child...
    jen

    ReplyDelete