Sunday, February 1, 2009

Birthday wishes....



For my birthday this year I was able to take the boys in my life to Disney World. While Dan and I had gone 2 years ago, we had not taken either of the boys. Figuring this was the last and only time we'd be able to take them for FREE, we jumped on board. I am not sure if I was more excited that it was free, or that it was Disney World. When Dan and I went several years ago, we also weren't very impressed and ended up coming home early. I knew that this trip was going to be great though! Experiencing the park thru their eyes was spectacular, and the best present I could have ever wished for!

I woke up on my birthday to Nathan singing me Happy Birthday, and asking me to open my presents. Dan was cute and had them all laid out on the kitchen table. Before I could even make it to the bathroom, I was drug to the table to help Nathan open my gifts. While I wanted to relish each one, the Vicki's jammies, jewelry, perfume, Longaberger basket, Pink Polo sweater, my little speed demon wouldn't let me. It was ok though. Watching them play in the tissue paper was fun too!

There was one last present we needed to get... a backpack. I had looked for weeks for the right backpack for our new theme park days! I was very particular with the sling style backpack and hadn't been able to find it anywhere. We were going to put in one last ditch effort at the Winter Garden Village before we took off for Disney. Thankfully we were able to find one, and I am convinced it was meant to be. I absolutely love it, and it was definitely broken in that first day!

I was so excited the week previous, that I had mentioned to several people we were going to Disney for my birthday. Thankfully I had mentioned it to just the right person, Susan, a friend from church. She asked about Dan's ticket, and offered to sign him in for free! What a huge blessing. All four of us went to Disney for FREE!! Thank you so much Susan!
After Susan signed Dan in, we went to get my birthday pass. Yes, I had to show my Driver's License and everything. And, they even gave me this cute little, or should I say large button to wear stating that it was my birthday. Partially embarrassed, and somewhat excited to see what goodies I could get on my special day, I proudly put it on!

It was so neat the whole day to see so many people who shared my day! While we had nothing else in common that I was aware of, we all shared the same birthday. It was like the January 200th Club. If you didn't have a button, you didn't belong. It was so neat! All day long I was told Happy Birthday. From the Disney employees to the people on the street they all made some comment about it being a wonderful day. It was so fun!

One of the first things we did when we got there was to get Drew his first (kinda) haircut. I had trimmed it before Christmas, but wanted to wait to take him to Disney for the first official one. It was so cute to see him sitting in the old fashioned barber chair getting his hair cut. He had Mickey Mouse stickers all over him, bubbles blowing in his face, and mommy taking as many pictures as the camera could take. It was so cute. He even got a pair of ears as a momento of his Disney haircut!






Our boys have not seen much t.v. in thier short little lives, and did not even have a clue who Mickey or Minnie Mouse was. This dawned on me about a week before we were going to Disney. So, standing firm by my principles, I recorded every episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that I could find. Yes, yours truely allowed the kids to watch t.v. I was so concerned that Nathan would have no clue who these characters were, and would be scared of them. So in his best interest, wink* wink, I allowed him to watch it. In hindsight I am glad I did, but in reality he was so excited I think anyone could have come through the doors and he would have loved them. In fact there were several characters that I didn't even know, and he cut right thru any and all lines to see them and give them hugs. It was so cute!

He was especially excited to see Mickey Mouse. Drew wasn't so sure of him and preferred Minnie Mouse!It was actually quite hilarious because he freaked out at Mickey and walked right up to Minnie. My ladies man already!


I was so surpised throughout the entire day at how well the boys did. I was expecting huge meltdowns from the continuous stimulation, sugar and lack of naps. They surprised me though! We were able to keep them busy enough that they didn't think of it too much. We went on several rides which they loved! Dumbo was a huge hit, as was the choo choo train. Pirates of the Carribean scared Nathan to death, and he spent most of the ride in my lap. By far the favorite ride of the day was "It's a small world." We rode it towards the end of the day, and rode it four times in a row. We even ate dinner at the restuarant overlooking it. The boys were so exhausted that they just ate while watching the boats again and again, and again. It was wonderful.


While the weather was cold, we were able to stay bundled up in our Colorado snow gear. With the sun out we actually stayed quite warm. Towards the evening it got quite chilly and we were thankful for all of the layers we were carting around all day. We were so brave that we stayed for the parade and the fireworks. The boys were wrapped up in multiple layers, and enjoyed every minute of the fireworks show, but not a minute more. Within minutes of the grand finale they were both sound asleep. So asleep, that Dan and I forwent the trolly ride to the car and just walked. They looked too peaceful to wake up!



No comments:

Post a Comment