Last weekend we celebrated my sister's birthday. Dan had mentioned a Mint Chocolate Chip cake that his mother used to make when he was little. Since Mint Choc. Chip is my all time favorite ice cream (especially when pregnant), and my sister's, I knew that it had to be a delicious cake! As I began to make it on Saturday afternoon, I had the two boys at my feet, or should I say, one at my feet, and the other on the kitchen counter. Anytime I am cooking Nathan is always right beside me on the counter asking to 'scoop' and then 'dump' whatever ingredients I need in. This cake was especially fun for him as I had mini choc. chips and crushed Andes mints on the counter. Needless to say, there was no shortage of chocolate! As we finished mixing, Nathan was ever so kind to share the beater with his baby brother. They both licked it clean and had a ball doing it!
I had taken some pictures of the delicious cake - but they were on the camera that is now MIA. SO, when I remake the cake later this week for another friend, I will snap some more pics of it! Although I have to say that it tastes better than it could ever possibly look!
Nathan thoroughly enjoyed the cake, both cooked and uncooked! So much so that he decided to help himself the next morning. Yes, that's correct. At 6:30 am I woke up to my 2 1/2 year old eating mint chocolate chip cake for breakfast. I have to admit that he was sitting at the table, with a fork, napkin, and a cup of milk. You would have thought that I had served it for him! Guess the introduction of chores (setting and clearing the tables) has paid off!
I can't help but reflect back on the Bill Cosby sketch called, "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast." In the sketch Bill reflects on giving his 4 year old daughter cake for breakfast, and then rationalizing why it was a healthy choice due to the eggs, wheat, and milk it was made out of. While this rationalization worked for him, his wife did not buy it! As he says, "His wife's face split" when she came downstairs saw him feeding their children chocolate cake for breakfast.
Before having children, I never would have believed this to be possible. Now that my two year old has had chocolate cake for breakfast, I can believe just about anything!
That is such a classic moment! Love it! My mom tells stories of my brother and I sneaking into the kitchen cabinets for sugar, butter and bread...the 'poor mans dessert'. I would love to try your Mint Choc Cake as that is my favorite ice cream too! Hey, did you know they now have Andies Mint Chips?? No more crushing of the Andies Candies nessecary!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I love it, and will download the recipe for you!
ReplyDelete