Please see previous post...because 'one of those days' hit this afternoon. Just when I thought things were running smoothly, and that all was calm - I WAS WRONG. In hindsight I honestly think they were buttering me up - just to serve me on a silver platter.
Today has been a slightly crazy day. First of all, we leave for an 8 day road trip with daddy across the West tomorrow. So much like any packing day, my list is a million times larger than an other ordinary day. Not only do I need to do laundry, clean out the fridge, take out the trash, clean the house, scrub down bathrooms, put the mail on hold, but also pack the kids and I for the next 8 days worth of unpredictable weather. AHHH!! Yes, I screamed both literally and figuratively.
On top of that to-do list, Thirty One, a company I am a consultant for, decided to have a HUGE sale today! While I was able to sell a ton of product, it also required a lot of my time and energy today. A day that I was already short of time and energy on.
So, we were running smoothly till about nap time. The kids were clearly tired (as was mommy), and I put them down for naps. All was quiet immediately, which I praised the Lord over and over for so that I could work and catch up on by 50 emails I had received in just 2 hours time. After an hour and a half it dawned on me that, "Silence, is not always a good thing in this house." So I went on the hunt for boy #1. He was no where to be found. As I rounded the steps to the basement I got the inclining that something was awry....seriously awry. There were little white balls everywhere, as well as white stuffing. As I entered the basement I couldn't believe what I saw - Lamby was cut open and pulled apart. If you recall from previous posts - this is the lamby that Nathan has become so attached to. The child who hasn't been attached to much and became attached to a cow that he calls a lamb is now in pieces all over my living room. I. stood. in. shock.
And then proceeded to hand him the dust buster ( which I had thankfully just bought last week).
As I went about working in the kitchen my mind raced with what kind of kid am I raising? One who is finally attached to something and then cuts it's legs off. Seriously, I'm thinking we need to call a counselor on this one.
Thinking his task was complete, Nathan emerged with the new dust buster ( which he probably thought was a treat getting to use). I calmly turned around to question him, and as I did the millions of little white balls fell from the dust buster onto the hardwood floor. I collapsed. Yep, I just sat right down on the floor in disbelief. Not one but two messes to clean up, really?
As the interrogation began, I soon learn that Nathan was curious about the little balls inside of lamby. He just wanted to know what they look like, and felt like. Isn't there a saying, 'Curiosity killed the cat?" Maybe in this case, "Curiosity killed the cow (lamb)."
For the last few months we have been trying to teach Nathan to take care of things. I have tried to remain calm when he breaks toys, and repeat the same line of questioning to him. "What did you do?" "What were you thinking while you did that?" and lastly, "What happens when you break your toys?" He knows the answer - they go in the trash, and mommy isn't going to buy you another one. So this too applied to lamby. The problem - he was attached to lamby. I don't know if I'll every every forget that look on his face when I put it in the trash. HUGE, monstrous alligators tears started rolling down, his lip not only quivered - it puckered too. So, as any good mommy would do, I caved. I sure did. I snatched up lamby from the trash, took Nathan by the hand and hauled tail upstairs for the sewing kit. As Nathan said, "Mommy, you made him like new."
As if that isn't a story in and of itself......there's more! While thawing out the meat for dinner, I heard some coughing from the basement. I verbally checked to make sure everything was o.k, and went about my business. A couple minutes later Nathan came upstairs to tell on his brother. Evidently, one of the boys thought that the couch needed some spicing up, with taco seasoning. Thankfully I had just bought a jumbo sized bottle of taco seasoning from SAMS, and one of the little munchkins found it in their reach in the pantry. They then proceeded to douse the couch with it.....on the spoon side (not the shaker side). While Mexican was on the menu for the evening - it was not to be served with a side of couch cushions.
Yes, I spoke all too soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment