Friday, June 18, 2010

Lamby






Since our move to Colorado, Nathan has been very attached to his lamby. At least that is what he calls this black and white cow stuffed animal. He loves this little thing to death and takes it everywhere with him. This is odd.

Nathan is not the type of child what has ever been attached to anything! He has never had a particular toy that he is fond of, or a character that he is drawn to - it always changes. He is pretty much happy with whatever toy in his possession at the given minute - and that changes, minute to minute. This has been very helpful with having friends over, or going over to others for a playdate. Nathan is so easy going he can just play with anything and everything.

So, Lamby, the new found friend. I am sure this is a reaction to the cross country move we just experienced and the fact his entire world has just been uprooted. This is completely understandable, and I can cart Lamby around in my purse for a good six months if that's gonna be what it takes to get us over this hump.

So today, after knowing how much he cares for this Lamb (cow), I was very much disturbed by what I found in the basement - lamby cut into pieces. There were at least 2 whole legs cut off, and little beads and stuffing everywhere! To say I was furious is an understatement. Dan and I have been working very hard with Nathan on his 'taking apart' of everything. His curiousity leads to him destroying many toys, and it's very frustrating as a parent. Now that he's four and a half, he can grasp the concept of things 'breaking' and needs to learn that Daddy cannot fix everything. We have been telling him for sometime now that if he takes something apart and breaks it, we're going to throw it away and he will not get another one. So was the case with Lamby.

As I proceeded to place Lamby in the trash, I saw the lip pucker and the alligator tears emerge. It was if I was throwing away his best friend. It was pathetic, and I caved. I pulled Lamby out of the trash and sent Nathan for the sewing kit. We talked about doing surgery on Lamby and how we have to take care of our favorite toys. He even went and got socks for Lamby to wear as casts on his legs. It was so sweet.

After further investigation, little Mr. Curious George felt the little beads in Lamby's feet. He wanted to see what they were - so he cut his legs off to get to them. Makes sense, right?! In his mind it did.


No comments:

Post a Comment