Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Individuals.....

Today Dan and I got a first hand lesson in how our sons are individuals. We each had a list of errands to run today so we each grabbed a kid and parted ways first thing this morning. I was thrilled to just have one kid in tow with me, especially the oldest as he is truely a helper these days. As the day unfolded I was shocked to learn who this child was. I hardly recognized him for his good behavior, kind manners, and willingness to help out. We had a great conversation between stops and I even got him a special treat at the store because he was just that good. Seriously, I was in awe.

When we arrived home I mentioned Nathan's incredible behavior to Dan. He too, had noticed Drew's improved behavior. It's as if they were different children apart from one another - and in this case that was a good thing.

As we thought back over the last few weeks, and months, these boys have been 'together' more than they ever have. We had just finished a nine day road trip (hello - togetherness), and they haven't been in preschool or Sunday school apart from one another in over a month. It was clear that they needed time apart.

I was so thankful that we stumbled across this...and we have committed to spending more time with each individual child so that they can learn to be their own person, with their own identity, with their own likes and dislikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment