Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Artists at work

Until our move to Colorado, I had never really painted with the kids. I am not sure if it was just that they were still to young to really appreciate it, or that I lacked the patience for the mess. One or the other - we have started painting, and they both love it!


I can usually count on at least a good hour of entertainment if I pull out either the paint or the play dough. They love it and it's a real special treat.


Today, imparticular, I decided to put on some classical music as they painted. I wasn't sure if it would inspire them to greatness, but it definitely sounded calming and fun!

In one of his favorite books, Richard Scarry they show all of the different colors, and what happens when you mix them. Almost each time Nathan will pull it out, set it on a chair, and imitate what they have shown on the page. He loves it, and it's so neat to see him comprehend what we've been reading.


Then, it's only a matter of time till he starts working on his spaceship. He loves to paint it, and with incredible detail. He doesn't miss a thing, and draws the same spaceship almost every time.


Drews just really into it for the fun of it. He usually tries to copy whatever Nathan is drawing, or whatever idea I might have to draw for him/with him. A couple weeks ago we drew a big tree and he had great fun painting the apples on it, and a few squirrels. We really have to work hard for Drew to think outside of the box right now as he constantly relies on what big brother is creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment