Dinner time is a sacred time in our house. It always has been, and always will be. I treasure our time together sitting around the table talking with one another. It's a staple, and a day isn't complete without it.
I wish I could record our dinnertime conversations. They are so informative.
I haven't always appreciated dinner time together, until recently. Now that the boys are older, they can chime in on the conversation to. We really to get to see this little personalities emerge - the good and the bad. I also know that as our lives start to become more chaotic with school, sports, and church events - we can always connection come meal time.
Over the last few months I have slipped up several times and used my computer at the table - especially breakfast and lunch time. Drew can take an awfully long time to eat, and I get caught up in all of the other things I should be doing than just sitting there making him take bite, after bite, after bite.
Recently, Dan as well, has started using his Blackberry at the dinner table. About the third night in a row of this, I informed him that there was no phone or computers at the table. He laughed it off, and set down his phone. Minutes later it chimed at him, and he picked it right back up. This time I called in the reinforcements. They had no problem telling Daddy the rule. It was hilarious!
While we were all laughing about how Daddy got in trouble, Dan and I both joked about how this would all too soon come back to bite them in the butt! I can only imagine them wanting to text at the table, or surf the web on their phones. Thankfully, Dan and I are working now to instill this rule in them. Hopefully it'll help the battles ahead over keeping dinner-time sacred!
No comments:
Post a Comment