Thursday, September 10, 2009

If you get in trouble at school....

If you get in trouble at school, then you get in trouble at home. There, I said it. After 5 days in preschool, I said it. Now there are two ways I can look at this - we made it thru four good days, or we've got a loong year ahead of us!

Evidently Nathan was not only not attentive in school, but he was aggressive. The first is no suprise to me at all, the later, is a surprise. Nathan is usually not the aggressive one - but today, according to Mrs Johnson, and the culprit himself, he was. Nathan is great at telling on himself, and it is usually the first words out of his mouth.

As a parent, I am so sad to hear that my child hurt someone - and then my second reaction is, well the kid probably deserved it. Especially at the age Nathan is at, they argue and have to learn the act of sharing, and taking turns - that's why he's in preschool after all - to learn social skills. Academics, shmacademics - he'll get them in time....at this age, it's all about socialization.

Now, my 16 years in Christian education and biblical worldview kicks in, and I have to think - we'll Jesus wouldn't have fought back, if that was indeed the case in this particular situation. (That is what situation my mind has contrived to help me grapple with the idea that my sweet little boy hasn't malled some child for a toy).

So, we go back to the motto - if you get in trouble in school, you get in trouble at home. The entire 20 min ride I was dwelling on this statement, and the idea that it would be the first of many that he'll receive. Oh, what a long road ahead of me I have. So, on the 5th day of school, I spanked. We discussed what he had done wrong, since he openly admitted it, then spanked him, and then we prayed that he would have a kind heart towards his classmates and friends, and then he laid down for a nap. (Now, while I was praying, I was praying that he would be the smartest child in the world, and learn once from his mistake at 3 - not likely I realize due to his sin nature).

1 comment: