Monday, October 18, 2010

Cider Pressing

One of our favorite aspects about going to Ohio in the Fall, is for Cider Pressing. Whenever able, we try to get home on one of the two weekends Uncle Joe presses. This year we thought we were going to miss it because of the shortage of apples, but Uncle Joe and Aunt Mona came thru yet again with a delicious batch of apples. There were not many people there this year so we all really had to pitch in to help, and we also got to take more cider home than ever!



While Beth and I helped Uncle Joe clean and get ready for it, the boys road the tractor peddle car all over the barn. I love seeing them ride this around - they are just too cute! And, with the wagon in tow, they never argue about taking turns since they each have a part to help with.

Below, Aunt Beth and the cousins took a peak at the cows, or stanky cows as Drew called them. I think I could honestly take pics all of my kids all day everyday, especially here on the farm.


Last year Nathan was intrigued by cider pressing but never really understood what was taking place, I think. Or, he may have just been in love with the tractors and bonfire too much to care about making cider. This year though, he was really excited to be able to help out. He really got into the washing apples station, and tried to help out at each of the others. He was so determined to be one of the 'men' helping out. I am so thankful that we even have the opportunity to share their heritage with them. In one of my favorite books regarding the crisis of boys, Boys Adrift, the author shares how important it is for boys at a young age to know what hard work is and have roles models who exemplify this. It is really such an honor and a privileged that we can share this with our boys.



As you can see the boys really got into throwing the apples into the washer. Nathan acted as if he was some all- star pitcher - it was so cute! I think the absolute best part of the evening was when Nathan jumped in to pull the lever on the apples. He wasn't quite sure what he was doing, but had seen several people do it - so he pulled the lever and there came the apples. And then they kept coming. The look on his face was priceless and several of us all happened to turn around and catch it at the same time.







Nathan enjoying his first cup of cider for the year! YUM!

At one point in the evening I couldn't find either of the boys.
As I wondered around I found them with Grandma - in the combine!

Cider is not the only thing that makes the cider pressing evening fun! Sitting around the bonfire at the end of the evening is a close second. Tonight, imparticular, was the best! The boys and their cousin Kinsey ran around in the open field chasing each other with flashlights. They were having such great fun, and the evening was beautiful. It was picturesque to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment