Since Drew was about six weeks old we have suspected an allergy of some sorts. I won't go into all of the symptoms and logistics of why - but to put it mildly - he was a fussy baby. He still is a fussy eater, and definitely has been on the lower end of the weight/size spectrum his entire life.
The Doctors, particularly our pediatrician in Florida, insisted that he was a healthy little boy and there was nothing that could be done. So everytime I left the office, I would leave utterly frustrated. Call me crazy, but I kept thinking it was just in my head and eventually he'd grow out of it.
Well now he's three - almost three and a half, and not much has changed. At least with Drew nothing has changed. Our pediatrician has changed, and thankfully I finally have a Doctor who is willing to listen to me, and a mother's intuition. Just over four weeks ago we tried the first and easiest step in helping little Drew with his stomach issue - whatever that may be. Dr. Hoover put him on an ant-acid. The first week or so we had to force the nasty medicine down his throat, but by the second week he was asking for it everyday AND he was eating!
Let me put it in terms you can grasp. The most he has ever eaten at Chick Fila has been two nuggets and some fries, and maybe half of his chocolate milk. Within two weeks on the medicine I took him to Chick Fila and he had a whole four chicken nuggets, fruit, fries, and a whole thing of chocolate milk. And, no, this isn't just a growth spurt. He literally has never eaten that much in one sitting. I just sat there in awe at Chick Fila, and couldn't help but think that this may be a solution to our food/stomach issues with him.
Tuesday, we went back to the Doctor and he had gained one and a half pounds in four weeks. Definitely a significant amount of weight gain according to Dr. Hoover. It was significant enough though, that he wanted to do further testing to make sure that was the only issue, and not just a band-aid masking an ever bigger issue.
So today, we took Drew for blood work. While I have contemplated Drew being tested for YEARS, and I was so happy to have a Doctor who actually listened to my concerns and then took action; I wasn't so thrilled with having to hold down a three year old so that a nurse could jab some needle in his arm and draw out blood. The whole situation was unpleasant, and I was thankful he had no idea what was in his near future!
I literally have been dreading it for days. Our appointment on Tuesday afternoon was late, so by the time we were finished, there was no way we could make it to the lab. I was so upset, knowing it would be on my mind until it was completed.
Wednesday was our first complete day at home in over a week and a half, and not even labwork was going to get my to leave.....so Thursday it was. I ran a bunch of errands first thing - so that we could get the labs drawn and then go celebrate with lunch and ice cream. Unfortunately the lab closed from 11:30-12:30 for lunch - which was right when we showed up. So two stores later, we tried it all again.
The tech. was so good with the Drew and first asked him to go pee in a cup. After some convincing in the restroom, and cheering on by his brother - we completed the task.
Then we entered the lab, and I was given directions on how to be the tech's helper - and not the mother. Easier said then done! He showed me how to hold him, and prepared me for his possible reactions - and then proceeded.
Drew cried, kicked, screamed - and then stopped to watch, and then started all over again. Three viles of blood later and we were done, and he had a cool bandaid! While the process seemed ten minutes long, I'm sure in reality it was about three. It was enough for me to break a sweat and have sore arms though. That little Drew boy is strong!
One of the upsides to this experience was being able to introduce a new word to the boys: brave. We talked about being brave, and tough throughout the whole process and he did great. He couldn't wait for Daddy to get home that afternoon to tell him how brave he was, and to show off his new band-aid.
Nathan too, was brave. As we got out of the car and approached the lab, I told Nathan that Drew was going to get a needle put in his arm to get some blood out. I told him that Drew would cry, and that mommy was going to have to hold him down. I told Nathan it was his job to sit there and encourage his brother. Despite several attempts to spoil the surprise of why we were there - Nathan was a great big brother and tried to
entertain him during the process.
Throughout the whole experience, and drive to the lab (both times), I couldn't help but think of the crucifixion. With Good Friday being tomorrow, and Easter celebrations this weekend - all I could think about was God sending His own son to shed blood for me. What a sacrifice. And why no means of Drew getting blood drawn can compare, it definitely hit home the sacrifice that God gave. Lots to ponder this Easter!
No comments:
Post a Comment