Sunday, April 17, 2011

The first signs of spring



It has been so exciting to experience the seasons this year. Having lived in Florida for the last several years, we have had to hop on a plane in order to experience a true season. While we still traveled to Ohio for Fall, we have definitely had our share of Winter, and are in full anticipation of Spring!

The first signs of Spring have started to emerge, and both the days and nights are definitely warmer. I feel as though we all have the itch to be outside more, put on flip flops, shorts and short sleeve t-shirts. I attempted the short sleeves earlier this week, and while the boys enjoyed it running around the park, I was thankful for my light-weight sweater I had brought along.

With the excitement of all of the little buds popping out, I couldn't resist snapping some pics with my new camera. I haven't quite had the time to play with it as much as I'd like, but these point and click pictures will be great evidence of just how far I've come in taking photos in years to come!


The excitement of Spring this year is so much more significant than in previous years. When I reflect back on last Spring, it was anything but excitement and much anticipated joy. It was fear, dread, exhaustion, and the complete and utter feeling of being in a bottomless pit. It was miserable. I was not looking forward to our move, or saying goodbye to friends. While I knew it was the path the Lord had for our family, I was not on board willingly. To say that the first six months I was even on board, would be a great stretch. There were glimmers of hope and joy along the way, but not until recently - until Spring - has the joy filled my soul and made me want to shout it from the top of Pikes Peak.

It is slightly ironic, the whole Pikes Peak thing. For the first few months here, all I could think about when I looked at the Peak was Florida. That Peak is there every time you go anywhere in this city, and it stood as a stark reminder to me that I was not at home. It felt like a dagger on many occasions, piercing me to the core.

In the last few weeks though I haven't been able to stop staring at the Peak. In fact, I can't quite take my eyes off of it. I look forward to seeing it each morning, and how it's beauty has changed. It's beauty has captured me, and I love more and more that it's constantly changing. It's beauty is never quite the same, yet still breathtaking.

The thoughts that now surround me when I recognize it's beauty, is of how far the Lord has brought us (me). It's amazing to think back to the deepest parts of sorrow and grief that once consumed me as I left my friends, and to the joy and happiness that is our little family now. Life is simple, happy, and joyous.

One of the first aspects of this house that caught my attention was this lilac bush. We hadn't even gone in the house yet, and snuck in the back gate to get a look thru the windows, and the backyard. The scent of the lilac caught me immediately, and almost took my breath away. It was lovely. I was so sad when it stopped blossoming within weeks of us moving in.

While in the process of moving in, I read Captivating, by Stasi Eldridge. One of the chapters talked about how we are romanced by creation, by our creator. It was marvelous, and I loved her story about being romanced by a particular scent. As I read it while waiting in a Doctor's office, I thought back to the lilac bush in the backyard. That moment that took my breath away was the reassurance and romance my creator was giving me admist the new and frightening circumstance. It was marvelous! What was even more spectacular was walking out of the Doctor's office to find a lilac bush in full blossom!

Let's just say that the first signs of green on my lilac bush this year made she smile from ear to ear!



No comments:

Post a Comment