This morning was Nathan's testing and interview for Kindergarten. So far, this process has been so surreal. I keep thinking to myself, "He can't really be ready can he?" or "Where have the last five years gone?"
I guess it took both Dan and I by surprise this January when he started sounding out words and writing his name really well. For the last two years we have noticed that he didn't really have an interest or inclination towards school work. He was and is all boy, and was definitely more interested in playing in the dirt, throwing sticks, tying objects up with a rope, and doing all other things boy. Sitting down and reading about doing those things, or working on writing his name has not even been on his radar - until January. All of a sudden the world of written language hit him, and he was intrigued. And to put it mildly, if this boy becomes curious about something - he'll get it figured out - whether he has permission to or not!
In February, when I could deny his readiness no longer, I made the call about information for Kindergarten. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I was caught so off guard by both his readiness, and my lack of readiness for this next step in his life. Having taught Kindergarten for several years, I never thought I would be that mom; the one who tears up at just the thought of her most precious possession heading off into another world for the next twenty plus years. It's the first step of many in learning to let go, and trust God with my baby - who will no longer be in my care seven whole hours a day. (See, I'm already that mom counting the hours he'll be away from me.)
Several weeks ago we went and did the Kindergarten Experience. We took a tour with several other families, and then sat in the classroom while our kids partook in a music lesson. We were able to watch how the classroom worked, and even got to talk with the teachers and check out the curriculum. Again, very much a surreal experience as we walked the halls of my former school. Because it was a previous middle school, the Kindergarteners, and all elementary kids get their own locker - which was way cool in Nathan's book. I'm not sure how or why that is - but no matter the age, it's cool to have your own locker!
Today's interview and testing was more than surreal. It was incredible! For the first time in several weeks, I finally felt as though our little boy was ready, and I was ready for him to be ready.
As we sat in the lobby, one of the Kindergarten teachers came and got him and took him upstairs for his 'test.' He didn't so much as turn around to say goodbye. He was off, and excited about going to see his classroom again. Poor Drew had a more difficult time with Nathan getting to go, and he having to stay behind. I don't know that I'll ever forget the mental picture of Drew waiting on one side of the glass, watching his brother go up the stairs to his classroom. He looked pathetic. He so desperately wanted to go as well.
Shortly after Nathan left, Dan, Drew and I went in to talk with the Principal. He was so kind, and just asked us to talk about Nathan, and tell him about our firstborn. It honestly caught me off guard. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Thankfully Dan started off and shared about Nathan's curious behavior. He shared a couple stories about his skills with a screwdriver, and ability to take everything and anything apart. I then shared with him about our decision to put Nathan in Kindergarten this year, as opposed to next. I shared some of the key factors we had in making our decision and about Nathan's readiness for it. It is not very often you get to sit and reflect on your child, and share all of the wonderful things about them. It was really very special.
To top it off, the Principal then asked us to share about Nathan's spiritual awareness. It was such an honor and privilege to sit there and share all of the spectacular stories we have about this little five year old and his incredibly tender heart for the Lord. Dan and I don't often sit around and dwell on the fact that we have such an awesome little boy who can share almost any story in the Bible, and ask for prayer for those who don't love Jesus. I think we both have tunnel vision so many evenings when we are completely exhausted and worn out. We are constantly questioning ourselves and our parenting, and are on most days completely and utterly frustrated and tired from raising two little boys. So, to focus on just the positive today, and share that with someone who is pretty much a stranger - was awe inspiring. It was mind blowing. It was, to say the least, one of the best experiences ever.
I was so proud to boast on my little boy who loves the Lord with all of his heart. He loves his brother to Pikes Peak and back, and even more than a John Deere Tractor. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body, nor a selfish streak like other family members. He'd give you any item you may ask for, and, with a willing heart. Raising him, is truly an honor - even though on most days I'm utterly frazzled, exhausted and worn out.
It was good day, and a great reminder of God's work in his life - and mine!
No comments:
Post a Comment