With my two oldest boys I had carefully packed a hospital bag. I had checked the lists online for what a delivering mother in the hospital might need/want, and made sure we had it all. From comfy pajamas, slippers, socks, snacks for daddy and the camera - we were prepared for the trip to the hospital.
This week, we were not prepared. We were not prepared in any sense of the word. There was no time to check off the hospital 'to pack' list, not much time to get the boys and house ready to be left with family for 48+ hours. There was not much time for anything that I would have done come the end of July in preparation for baby # 3's arrival.
During the wee hours of Wednesday morning it dawned on me that I had nothing for my third son. I had not brought one thing for him. I had none of the cute great-grandma blankets, none of the cute little outfits/hats/socks that a mother picks out so carefully for a child to have. We had nothing for him and the thought devastated me.
A minor panic attack set in over the thought that my precious son whom I'd only get to love for such a short time would be without the comforts that I had done for my first two sons. Knowing my time would be valuable with him, and the memories would have to last a lifetime, I became quite upset over the thought of having nothing tangible for him.
Within minutes of my 'worrying' our wonderful nurse walked in. She sat down and heard my heartache over not having anything for my son. She assured me that the hospital had just what I was worrying about and calmed my fears that my son would not have any of the comforts I had for my oldest two boys.
One of the favorites for my oldest two has been a blanket made by their great grandmother. Both boys have a blue blanket knit by her, and Drew especially cherishes it. When they brought in Caleb for us to rock on Thursday morning, he was wrapped in a blue hand-knit blanket identical to great grandma Beam's. God's provision was priceless in that moment, down to the very last detail of a blankie for my boy.
While the blankie is now in my possession, it serves as a constant reminder that God provides, and will continually provide for me and the family He has blessed me with here on earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment