Last week was a trying one due to my two sick children and my absentee husband. I swear they knew Dan was out of town. It happened the morning he left, within hours! It all started with Nathan and a knife. Yes, he cut his finger. And no, it was not with a butter knife. It was with a genuine Henkel serrated edge. I knew from that moment on it was going to be a long week. Thankfully we were able to stop the bleeding, and thankfully I had just stocked up on Curious George Bandaids too! It was quite the tramadic experience though. There was a lot of blood, and a lot of screaming. Almost a week later, he still referrs to it as his "ouchie."
Of course this episode was followed up with many more accidents, and included the blisters on Drew's feet. As I was placing him in his carseat later that afternoon I noticed big pussy blisters on the bottom of his feet. It looked horrible! I paniced immediately and called all mothers for advice. Of course no one was home. My mind was racing, and I called to book a Dr's apt. Thankfully they could fit us in that afternoon. As I was driving home, (because I couldn't shop due to my brain racing one thousand miles a minute), I called my best friend. As I was describing his symptoms she told me that it was probably just hand, foot, mouth disease. DUH!! I've been in Early Childhood Education for how long??! I was a director for a preschool and diagnosed that how many times? Yet, when it came to my own child, I got baby brain! I couldn't think of anything but the worst possible situation. I had already tried to think of who Nathan would stay with while I was in the hospital with Drew. (Yes, I was beyond crazy)
Needless to say, the Dr confirmed my best friend's diagnosis. He had hand-foot-mouth disease and I had just paid my co-pay to find out that I could do nothing for him. How frustrating is that? Not only am I out the money, but now I'm crazy with the fact that I have to sit by and watch him in pain. I'm sure this is only one of many times that I'll wish I could take the pain for him.
Thankfully my copay was not a total loss! Thanks to a platefull of cookies I had brought in, the Dr went ahead and did his well-visit exam. I know this is a no, no but I was so thankful I didn't have to return the following day to pay again and get shots. While the shots were no fun for Drew, we at least had a quiet evening with a motrin cocktail!
Yikes, not a good week. Matt works some crazy hours, but at least he doesn't travel!
ReplyDeleteThankfully Dan doesn't have to travel that much!
ReplyDelete