Saturday, November 29, 2008

Four hours in one seat....

I do not highly recommend sitting in one chair for four hours with a two year old, nor a one year old. It really doesn't work very well! Our flight to Colorado, while direct, was very long: four hours and six minutes to be exact! We came prepare with Dramamine though!

I had previously talked with our pediatrician, or the assistant and she said not to give them anything. She assured me that they would be fine. Well, after taking Nathan on more than 15 flights I have learned to drug them! She is also a young female pediatrician with no children. I know my boys, and there is no sitting in one place for four hours without some serious medication. Even the check in agent was aware of our active little boys. He kindly labeled them with neon orange stickers, "Live animals."

Thankfully the medication kicked in just after take off, and with some minor screaming they fell asleep. Drew slept the first part of the flight, while Nathan slept the last part. It's so nice of them to take turns like that. The only problem was that when Drew woke up, he wanted to be on the move. Sitting just wasn't going to cut it! Thankfully we had the most wonderful stewardesses who let us stand in the back and borrow their pots and pans. Yes, right in the back of the airplane was Drew using coffee cups, mugs, straws, and even a couple cans of Coke to play with! It was perfect and kept him very content and happy!

There was a minor explosion on the airplane though, and it did occur in the rear. Drew's rear that is! Of course in the four hours I would not want him to go, he did. And it went everywhere! As I crammed into the tiny bathroom, and prayed that it not be a huge mess, I discovered that my arm was wet (that's never a good sign). Sure enough, it was all the way up his back, and on the cute shirt I had gotten for him to wear on Thanksgiving Day. (It said, "I'm stuffed.")

After the explosion, we were about to land, and began the process of waking up Nathan. You could almost call this an explosion as well, but not so much in the rear. It was in the rear of the plane, because after all, we have children. Where do all airlines stick children, especially noisy little boys - in the last row! Well as Nathan proceeded to wake up, he began screaming. I am not sure if he was disoriented, confused, mad or what, but he screamed for what seemed like an eternity. It was so frustrating and embarrassing, and there was pretty much nothing I could do! It did make me very thankful for the homemade cookies I had passed out to those who were seated around us! They were a little more sympathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment