Monday, September 6, 2010

First Sunday.....

Today was Nathan's first Sunday in Big Church with Mommy and Daddy. We did not plan this, nor expect it to come so soon - but we survived. Evidently all the volunteers requested the same weekend off, Labor Day, and there were none available to teach Nathan's class.

Thankfully that morning we had forgotten to feed the boys breakfast, and had splurged for donuts earlier upon our arrival (before we knew he'd have to sit with us in church). Glad that extra sugar rush could come on a morning he was going to have to sit still with us for almost two hours!

Since we have started going to a new church Nathan has been very inquisitive about 'Big Church.' I have briefly, very briefly, thought about allowing him to stay with us some Sundays aware of the discipline aspect that it helps teach. (There has been much research done on the topic of kids who sit in church have longer attention spans in school). Dan and I were both raised going to big church and clearly it didn't harm us.

Of course, that was the day in age when parents when to Sunday School follower by the church service. If Nathan sat with us in church, then he would get no lesson whatsoever. I would much rather him learn his Bible story in his class, than sit with us each Sunday!

When we first told Nathan he would be sitting with us in church he was quite excited. After all, he has been wondering what all the loud music is about. He did great during the worship aspect of the service and I loved having him in there while we worshiped together as a family. The sermon aspect of the service also went quite smoothly. They had provided some papers for the kids to do during the service and those occupied him for some time, and when that ran out we started pulling out objects from mommy's purse. I would have 'prepared' my purse for such occasion - but was totally caught off guard today. It was amazing though what I had stashed in there. It definitely was an accurate portrayal of Meg Ryan's purse in the movie You've got Mail.

I was so proud of my little guy. We made it thru the whole service and I even was able to pay attention and take notes! Many parents were darting out of the service with their rowdy little one...but not us! While this will not be our 'regular' Sunday routine, we at least know that we can do it, and survive! AND, Nathan now knows what's going on in the sanctuary, and that he wants nothing to do with it! He was quite pleased the following Sunday to have his teachers back!

No comments:

Post a Comment