Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It's better with brothers

I have come up with many tricks for grocery shopping with 2 boys since I am an advocate for not using 'me' time for that weekly task. For a while I copied the boys their own list that they had to help me gather in the store. My friend, Michelle, gave me that idea and it does and has worked wonders now that they are older. It's almost as if it's a "Where's Waldo?" version for the grocery store, or a treasure hunt for the BBQ sauce, or the monstrous task of trying to find which isle they have placed the marshmallows. They love it and so do I, but I don't always have the time to print it out and be completely prepared for the trip to the grocery.

While in Florida we loved shopping at Publix! There were so many fun treats every time we turned around. From the race car shopping carts, to the cookie in the bakery, and the balloon at checkout - Publix was a fun treat for all of us! Oh, how I miss Publix!

Here in Colorado we have King Soopers, aka Kroger. While they are nice, and have great prices, there isn't a fun treat on every bend. Their bakery does have cookies, but my kids who have been raised on Publix freshly baked ones refuse them. (I don't blame them) At checkout there aren't balloons, but instead a horse ride. It only costs a penny and I know it's every mother's saving grace for peace during a shopping visit. It took me about 2 months to figure this out - and I am so thankful I did! As we enter the grocery store each week I give the boys each a penny. They put it in their pockets or hang on to it while I shop. If they misbehave I take it away and they don't get a horse ride at the end. Simple enough, right? Well, the first few visits didn't go so well, and no one ended up with a horse ride. After many alligator tears were shed, they finally learned. Now, almost each time we go they get their horsey ride.

This week's trip, today imparticularly, was so sweet - hence the title. At the end of today's trip each boy still had his penny. Drew went first, and had a grand time. Nathan followed and about 10 seconds into his ride asked for Drew to join him. Of course, Drew was thrilled for the second ride and jumped right on. They started laughing and giggling and just had a grand time riding it together. Nathan turned around and shared with me that, "It's much better with a brother!" It melted me heart! Yes, some things are just better with a brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment